Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It's not about me.. or you!

I had some scathing criticism today. It breaks my heart to think that it is most likely true. Well, not most likely.. it is very true. I was told that it is all about me. *sigh* I hate being selfish. I hate being inconsiderate. I hate always wanting things my way and getting sick when they are not. I know exactly what the apostle Paul meant when he wrote; "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" Rom 7:24

Why is so difficult for us to realign our focus outward? Well, the true question is; do we want to? Is it false humility/compassion for us when we bemoan the injustices all around us and act appalled at the greed and self absorption in our society, while we continue to live in our own little secure self-centered world, and don't lift a finger to change it? I know, I know... we have plenty of excuses... we are busy, we just don't have the time... we don't have the money... we don't have the talent... we don't.. we don't... IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!

Bottom line... Christ, my God gave and continues to give everything for me! We claim to be his friends and his servants, yet we have the biggest problem doing as he commanded... Oh I know, I know... you go to church, you read your bible, you teach a Sunday School... well, I didn't see any of that in red letters in my bible. What are his commandments? There really aren't as many as you think, because the few take care of every issue we have.

12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. John 15: 12-14 NKJV

How does this change what we will do tomorrow? God please forgive us if it don't.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's why my favorite verse is Matthew 6:33. If we can just get our eyes to stay on HIM...if we will just seek Him and His righteousness, all we have need of will just be ours. It'll just HAPPEN. If we will think on Him instead of on ourselves, if we will look at him instead of at our circumstances, if we will seek Him instead of the things we want, if we will do His will instead of trying to assert our own...we'll have need of NOTHING. There won't even be a "I want..." The hard part, at least for me, is to not TRY to think on Him, seek Him. Because then, it's still ME working at being that better Christian. I need to seek HIM, not seek me seeking Him. I don't know if that makes sense in print or not.

    It's not supposed to be about me, but oh how I fail at this one, too, Carey! I've GOT to keep my mind "stayed on Him".

    Good thoughts Carey. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete